Translate

Thursday, June 25, 2015

First Impression - Nail products

Last night I sat down to paint my nails, and I've really been wanting to use this beautiful coral Michael Kors lacquer in the color Audition, so I broke it out and sat down with high expectations, since it is a luxury brand.  (I got this in a free gift from Ulta a couple of months ago.  I did not pay for the gift bag that included three perfume samples, this nail polish, and a full sized lipstick.) 

Let's start with the base coat!  I really like this formula, and find it very unique.  Orly Bonder Rubberized Basecoat is just like it sounds.  It feels somewhat grippy and rubbery once it dries on the nail, which allows the lacquer you use to bond and adhere to the basecoat for more staying power.  I usually have an issue with polish peeling off in one nail shaped sheet after a day or two of wear.  Since I started using this basecoat, it hasn't been a problem, so I'm really liking this formula. 

On to the nail polish.  I found this nail polish to be extremely difficult to work with.  It is very sheer, and took 3 coats to deliver the opacity I was looking for.  With every passing minute I was working with this polish, it seemed to get thicker and thicker, not just on my nails, but on the brush and in the bottle as well.  Towards the end of the application, the polish had almost a gummy consistency.  I don't know if this is typical of all Michael Kors lacquers or if this one is just old.  I have only found it for sale on Amazon for $9, when the majority of the other polishes on the Michael Kors site retail for $18, and some of the polishes on Amazon are going for much more.  That makes me think that Audition is an older polish that has been discontinued, which can affect the formula.  I'm still hesitant to buy another MK lacquer based on this experience though.

As for the shade, it really is beautiful and unlike any other shade I have, I just wish the formula was better. 

Now, for the real winner here.  INM Out the Door Topcoat.  This formula dries super fast (45 seconds) and protects your manicure from smudges, and those really irritating fingerprint ridges you can get sometimes.  I usually give it 5-10 minutes of untouched drying time before I really begin doing any kind of activity that requires my hands.  I have used this top coat 3 times now, and from what I have experienced, it does seem to lengthen my manicure by quite a bit.  My nails tend to be weak and very flexible, which leads to a lot of chipping of my polish.  With the combination of the Orly basecoat and the Out the Door Topcoat, my nails seem to be getting stronger, and my polish lasts more than just a couple of days, which makes me really happy. 

I definitely recommend the Orly basecoat and the Out the Door to anyone who has issues with their manicure peeling off, or chipping due to weak nails. The Michael Kors though...  I would advise you to find a dupe that you like that is cheaper and likely to be much easier to work with.


Left to Right:  Orly Bonder Rubberized Basecoat; Michael Kors Nail Lacquer in Audition; INM Out the Door #1 Super Fast Drying Topcoat

After 3 coats of the MK Lacquer in Audition it is finally to the opacity I desired.  You can see how it still seems somewhat patchy and uneven on some of the nails.  That's where the polish seemed to be drying before I could even get the brush to the nail. 



What are some of your favorite nail products? What have you found to be absolute fails? Let me know in the comments below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment